As the year draws to a close we take a look back at the year that was and have nominated four players from each position for your team of the year.
We have included players based on their club and test form, particularly their form at the Rugby World Cup in Japan.
We move onto the engine room:
Scott Barrett - New Zealand
- Starred for the Crusaders on their way to their third title.
- Made more turnovers than any other lock in Super Rugby
- Forced his way into the All Blacks starting jersey and kept the pressure on Brodie Retallick and Sam Whitelock
- Had a strong World Cup.
Courtney Lawes - England
- Helped Saints to the Premiership playoffs.
- Starred for England in the Six Nations.
- Claimed a starting role in a highly tested second row in the England World Cup squad.
- Helped England to the World Cup Final.
Eben Etzebeth - South Africa
- Missed half of the Super Rugby season through injury.
- Helped the Springboks win the Rugby Championship
- Started all the Springboks playoff games at the Rugby World Cup, he missed just one game.
- Helped the Springboks win the TRC and World Cup double.
James Ryan - Ireland
- Average around 10 carries and tackles for club and country throughout the year.
- Helped Leinster win the PRO14 and reach the Champions Cup Final.
- Was consistent for Ireland in the Six Nations.
- Was one Ireland's best in a disappointing Rugby World Cup.